Whilst we are honest about not having medical or professional qualifications in the field of mental health, we are looking to improve our skills as much as we can by whatever means we have access to.
We have been made aware of Scotland's Mental Health First Aid course and we feel it would be beneficial for our core team to undergo the course to make the Respite Room a more inclusive space and feel safe in the information we are giving.
There are 4 core members and the course costs £65 per person equalling a total of £260.
Our Facebook, for example, has nearly 350 people following, if we were just to ask £1 from everyone this would cover our costs. Any excess we would donate to a mental health charity.
As Respite Room is a voluntary collective, we don't have funding to rely on. Our set up has been self-funded.
- How to apply the 5 steps of SMHFA
- How to respond if you believe someone is at risk of suicide.
- How to give immediate help until professional help is available.
- What to say and do in a crisis
- The importance of good listening skills
- Practice listening and responding
- Understanding recovery from mental health problems
- Understanding the connection between mental health problems and alcohol and drugs
- Understanding the connection between mental health problems and discrimination
- Some basic information about common mental health problems
- Self help information
Our Just Giving page can be found HERE and we would be so grateful for any contributions.
Respite Room x